I am not sure I followed the instructions perfectly for this, as I used 3 colours at a time, not 4. However, I worked on the example on the left first, using a pastel version of the 3 primary colours, red blue and yellow. I wanted to see how the colours moved across into each other, and to then compare it with the sample in the earlier exercise which used the primary colours red and blue. Here I used the black fabric deliberately to show the colours and to see how they impacted on each other, not in the background. The second sample used pastels of the secondary colours orange, violet and green.
Firstly, pastels are easier and softer in impact on the eye and therefore challenge each other less than primary colours do. They blend more easily and are less bold. The photograph suggests the colours as more strong than they actually are and I couldn’t edit it enough to the original, which is interesting too. The photo brings out the primary hues. I found that the blue colour is less strong in impact in the stitching,it is soft and falls almost to white. In conjunction with the pink, the violet is developed and likewise with the yellow, green appears. However I found the yell and pink challenge each other and I couldn’t really see any orange appearing. The yellow and red both kept separate.
In the second sample with the violet orange and green the colours appear to compliment each other and to move more easily. I find them richer and can imagine using these tones more often.
I found the pastels easier to work with and look at. Interesting, but I suspect that easiness is not going to always what is needed.