It has been challenging and fun to collate the potential yarns and here I find the restrictions of having moved to Bahrain with little more than suitcases has held me back a bit. If I was back at home I would have all my fibres, bits and pieces around me, but they are boxed in my storage unit back in Calgary. So, I am starting by scratch and am scouring round for outlets for the more creative types of thread-making yarns in the variety of colours and shades that would be useful. I had found my sources for fabrics, and now off to souks for haberdashery types of stores. To the results of experimenting with the stitches. I had started to do this right at the beginning of the course, before the right time, when someone had suggested I make a sampler of the stitches, used in what I thought of as different ways. I am enclosing the photo of this initial work, because I was completely bored by it and could not continue. I had used conventional fabric and embroidery thread, and found it a soul-less process. UGH
I am embarrassed to show them, but I am doing so to show the contrast with what I have done at this actual stage of the course. I decided to use one colour and stick to one fine fabric, soft and simple. I used 4 fibres as the threads: a mercerised embroidery cotton, a metallised thread from Christmas decorations, knitting wool and a ribbon. I let my needle follow its own track. Starting with running stitch, I immediately felt more movement in my lines. Each stitch, which I was already familiar with in the conventional school of embroidery, took its own life. I found herringbone made me think of the cross-hatching marks of SHARP, and I could see the cactus spikes. I found the blanket stitch amazing, from the worm-like centipede in cotton to the strong power of the wool. I can really see shapes and lines appearing differently from these images. I think using the 4 yarns was exciting as the stitches appear as markmaking, rather than sewing, and I can see the impact of Project 1already.